Tuesday, February 24, 2015


What's for dinner?  This is a question that I often hear in my home.  I think the little guy
above must be wondering that too, as my daughter sent this picture to me recently.  While preparing dinner, she found her son staring into the oven. (I wish he was in my kitchen right now!)

Below, I'd like to share a delicious recipe with you, in the case need an idea for dinner.



The recipe comes from my friend's daughter, and she is a very good cook!  She often
 uses the "Cooking Light Magazine".  This particular recipe she found in the
"Fix It and Forget It Cookbook".  This is the easiest recipe!  She wrote on the recipe to me,
"we just had the best soup for dinner and I needed to share it with you.  So super easy-
I love crockpot cooking!"  

Here is the recipe for the "Chicken Tortilla Soup";

4 chicken breast halves (I used five frozen chicken breast tenders)
2 15 oz. cans of black beans, undrained
2 15 oz. cans Mexican stewed tomatoes, or Rotel tomatoes
1 cup of salsa
4 oz. can chopped green chilies
14 1/2 oz. can tomato sauce
tortilla chips
grated cheese

1.  Combine all ingredients except chips and cheese in a large slow cooker.
2.  Cover.  Cook on low for 8 hours(do not open the lid during the cooking).
3.  Just before serving, remove chicken breasts or tenders and slice into bite sized
     pieces.  My chicken tenders just fell apart, so I shredded them.  Stir back into the
     soup.
4.  To serve, put a handful of chips in each individual bowl.  Ladle soup over the chips.
     Top with cheese.  Enjoy!

My husband and I both agree with the one who gave us the recipe.  It tastes so good!



Here is where I shredded the chicken before putting it back into the soup.

 
I placed some tortilla chips before adding the soup.
 


Thanks Shawna, for sharing another one of your amazing recipe choices with us. 

If you have someone asking, "what is for dinner?", you might want to try this recipe.

Thanks for stopping by.



4 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

This soup does look delicious! I've never made soup in the crockpot, but I'm excited to try this recipe you have shared. Sweet little guy keeping his eye on what's happening in the oven!

Happy@Home said...

Such a darling picture of your little grandson checking on the dinner preparations.
The soup looks and sounds delicious. I may be giving it a try soon as we're currently getting snow which is expected to be several inches before all is said and done.
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Shawna said...

Judy! What a surprise to see I made it to the blogging world courtesy of you! Every time I make that soup for someone new, I need to share the recipe. It truly is the easiest meal to make! I'm wondering how long ago I shared that recipe with you...it has to have been years. I'm glad you are still enjoying it! I enjoy popping in on your blog regularly - you always make me smile. Sending love to you~~

Liz said...

My grandson loves to see what his gamma is baking too! Oh yum on the soup! I think I have all of the fixings in the cupboard!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails